Huge post today! SEGA has recently updated PSO2 fans with the latest information on what we can expect once the December 5, 2012 “Where Darkness Gathers” update arrives. Additionally, the 2nd part of the large update is now available for download via the Pre-Downloader.
2nd Part of Dec. 5 Patch Download Now Available Via Pre-Downloader
SEGA just released the 2nd part of the Dec. 5 patch for download via the Pre-Downloader (a.k.a. “Segmented Update System” 「分割アップデートシステム」). You will need at least 1.5 GB of free space in order to download this portion of the update (or 3 GB total if you still need to download the first part).
Additionally, SEGA plans on distributing another update download (also approximately 1.5 GB) on the day of the maintenance on December 5. So make sure to get started on the pre-download or you’ll have a huge update to download on maintenance day!
How to Use the Pre-Downloader
Simply run the PSO2 Launcher as usual.
If the launcher detects that there’s a download available, a window will popup asking if you would like to download the updates. Click on Yes (はい) to start the download, or click on No (いいえ) to skip the download and get it at a later time.
If you choose “Yes”, the download will proceed in the background and you can play the game as normal. In the event of an error or disconnect, the download will resume where it left off previously the next time you start it.
Now, onto the juicy details of everything we’ll get with the “Where Darkness Gathers” update…
First, you might want to watch the new official trailer video the sums up everything:
New Boss: King of Darkness “Dark Falz”
A new boss, the King of Darkness, “Dark Falz” (闇の王「ダークファルス」), will make its appearance on December 12, 2012 (1 week after the Dec. 5 update). To learn about the story behind Dark Falz, make sure to do Matter Board Story Quests up until Chapter 8!
New Emergency Quest: “Falz Arm” & “Dark Falz Elder”
A new Emergency Quest will also feature a planet-sized mega boss, “Dark Falz”, which requires the cooperation of the entire Arks Ship in order to defeat.
The new Emergency Quest system is divided into 2 parts. In the first part, up to 12 players in a multi-party alliance must battle “Falz Arm” (ファルス・アーム) – an extension of the main boss but still extremely powerful.
The more Falz Arms players defeat as a whole (counting all the multi-party alliances on the entire Arks Ship), will cause the main boss to become weakened, allowing players to face off against the main “Dark Falz Elder” boss in a stage 2 battle.
Part 1 of the Emergency Quest will last for 30 minutes, in which the entire Arks Ship population must try to defeat as many Falz Arms as possible. Status updates showing the health of the main boss will be announced periodically during the Emergency Quest.
Note that the Emergency Quest will be available from Normal through Very Hard difficulty, and even level 1 players are able to participate. Every Arks citizen will count in this fight to defeat Dark Falz!
Part 2 of the Emergency Quest will be unlocked if enough Falz Arms are defeated and the main boss weakened beyond a certain point. If this condition is fulfilled, everyone who manages to clear Part 1 of the Emergency Quest at least once will be able to fight Dark Falz Elder. For parties who are unable to clear the fight with Falz Arm at least once, the Emergency Quest will end at this point.
Part 2 of the Emergency Quest, the fight with Dark Falz Elder, can only be attempted once. Combine the power of 12 players to defeat the King of Darkness!
“White Snow Christmas” AC Scratch
The December 5 update will also come with a brand new AC Scratch titled, “White Snow Christmas” (ホワイトスノークリスマス), featuring several Christmas-themed costumes and accessories to keep your spirits high in this jolly season!
Some new items you can obtain include…
Santa Dress (サンタドレス) and Santa Hat (サンタ帽)
Santa Suit (サンタスーツ) and Santa Beard w/Hat (ひげ付きサンタ帽)
Funny Traitor (ファニトレイター) and Firm Ear Muffs (ファームイヤーマフ)
Furyu Neige (フリューネージュ) and Furyu Head (フリューヘッド)
Snow Queen “Kelvena” (ケルビナ) Female Cast Parts
and Snow Tiara (スノーティアラ)
Snow Banther-Inspired “Hurion” (ヒュリオン) Male Cast Parts
Shilling Order (シリングオーダー)
Additionally, other Christmas-themed items will be available, such as:
- Fur Cap (毛皮の帽子)
- Knit Cap (ニットキャップ)
- Ear Muffs (耳当て)
- Mufflers (マフラー)
- And much more!
Christmas Theme Lobby
From December 5 – December 26, the Arks Lobby will be transformed into a Christmas theme with a huge Christmas Tree in the middle!
New Client Orders From Shii (シー)
Shii (シー), the girl who was giving out special Client Orders during the Halloween Event, is now back to give more Client Orders in her Santa Dress. Clear all her Client Orders and receive a special item!
New Christmas Event Enemy, Saint Rappy (セント・ラッピー)
A new cute enemy, the Saint Rappy (セント・ラッピー), will also appear during the Christmas Event. They also drop a special item that can’t be obtained anywhere else!
Naura Sisters (ナウラ三姉妹) Are Back To Sell Cakes!
During a special Interrupt Event (Emergency Code), the Naura Sisters will be back in Christmas Dresses to sell more cakes! Protect their shop and you’ll be able to buy the new Christmas Cake (クリスマスケーキ).
New Emergency Quest “Christmas On Ice” (氷上のクリスマス)
A special Emergency Quest that guarantees the appearance of the Naura Sisters Cake Shop will also be available. Take part in the quest and find your way to their cake shop!
New “Parallel Areas”
During quests, players will encounter special portals that transports them to one of 3 “Parallel Areas”. In each of these special areas, rare enemies that rarely appear normally will appear in large numbers!
“Potential Ability Unlock” System
DooDoo/Dudu at the Item Laboratory will now offer a new “Potential Ability Unlock” option for weapons that have been grinded to +10.
A new option “Potential Ability Unlock” will become available once you’ve an eligible +10 weapon in possession. Pay Photon Spheres and some meseta and DooDoo will unlock the Potential Ability for your weapon!
Note that by unlocking a weapon’s Potential Ability this way, the weapon will revert back to +0 (attack power resets to +0 as well).
Also, it is NOT possible to fail a “Potential Ability Unlock”, so don’t worry!
Note that in the image below, the Aristin (アリスティン) has a Potential Ability that increases Defense during Guard Stance by 30 points! Interesting to note too that 4 Photon Spheres and 2,600 meseta is needed to unlock level 2 of its Potential Ability.
Weapons with their Potential Abilities unlocked will also have a yellow border around their icon.
Additionally, the effect when changing to an unlocked weapon will be a cool golden glow!
SEGA has also mentioned that because of the heavy usage of Grinders due to this new feature, they are well aware that Grinders are becoming more expensive & scarce. In order to help players obtain Grinders more easily, a number of changes will also be implemented, including:
- Ability to obtain Grinders from the Recycle Shop (リサイクルショップ)
- Increased rate of obtaining Grinders from FUN Scratch
- Special campaigns that make it easier to obtain Grinders will be implemented at a future date
Cross-Block Party Search
Players will now also be able search for parties in different Blocks while at the Quest Counter. You’ll be transported to the Quest Counter of the Block of your chosen party, making joining other parties a much easier task!
Time Attack Quests Now Soloable!
In the past, Time Attack Quests require at least 2 players in order to start. With this new update, Time Attack Quests are now soloable, making it much easier to try them out!
More Premium Set Advantages
Those who possess a Premium Account (using any of the Premium Set Tickets purchasable with AC) will see increased advantages to their gameplay, including:
- Ability to accept 40 Client Orders at once (from 20 normally)
- Increased power of Ability Boost Drinks
- Increased FUN points received
Additional System Updates
In addition to all the updates mentioned above, there will be a number of changes to various aspects of the game, including:
- Addition of items to the Recycle Shop. All 10☆ rarity items are now “targets” for exchange at the Recycle Shop.
- Change in the follow system. Players can now only follow other players who are in the same party only. Additionally, players that you have blacklisted will now no longer be able to follow you.
- Friend Partner changes. You can now only call out a Friend Partner as NPC only if both you and your friend are on each other’s Friend Lists.
- Several Changes to My Shop
- Addition of “Check Market Price” (相場を見る) option that lets you see the latest 50 listings of the item you’re about to post to My Shop.
- You can now sort My Shop item listings like how you can with your normal inventory.
- Addition of “Equip-able Items Only” (装備可のみ) option while searching My Shop. With this option checked, only weapons and units that you can equip will be displayed in the search results.
- Addition of option that prevents Friend Partners from being called out in a room. This option “Enter Room Prohibiting Partners” (S呼びだし不可のルームに入る) is selected when creating a room at the Quest Counter. Other parties that join rooms with this option enabled won’t be able to call out Friend Partners as well.
- Matter Board change where Matter Board items will drop once a number of kills (depending on the enemy) has been reached (instead of only dropping by chance).
- New Chat Command <skill> or <sk>. When used, displays the name of the previously used Skill or Photon Blast.
- New Option to Increase Brightness of Cut-Ins. For cut-in commands like 「/ci1 1」 and others, you can add 「t1」 – 「t5」 afterwards to control the level of brightness of the cut-in box.
- New Symbol Art Creation Options. Now you can copy and apply colors from selected parts.
- Addition of Several New Methods of Sorting
- Abolition of “Sort” command for Client Orders. Instead, a new sorting tab will be added to the recommended area of each order.
- Ability to sort items by “Rarity”
- Ability to group Event Items
- New Notification When Throwing Away Items. Cursor will be placed at No (いいえ) initially when you select to throw away an item. After throwing away the item, a message will display saying that you’ve thrown away the item (アイテムを捨てました).
- 3 Methods of Taking Screenshots. With Interface (インターフェイス表示あり) / No Interface (なし) / No Interface (With Speech Bubbles) (なし（フキダシあり）)
- Emergency Quest “Gift From the Storm” (嵐の贈り物) – Mr. Umbra – You will now no longer fail the quest even if your Mag attacks Mr. Umbra.
- Improvement of Game’s Collision System
- Changes to Rarity 7☆ Weapon & Drop Rate. Also, rare weapons will now have a 100% of dropping with a certain element instead of no element like before.
- Reduction in Meseta Required to Purchase Certain Items (to be confirmed later).
- Photon Tree Balance Changes. Photon Tree will no longer consume Photon Water when logged out.
- Klotho Client Order Balance Changes. The Time Attack Client Order from NPC Klotho will now require only an A Rank to complete.
- Team Functions Expanded
- Team Level 4 now available
- Team Storage increased to 200
- Increased Photon Tree Growth to Level 6 in every area
Whew! What a HUGE update! And pretty epic too from what we’ve seen so far.
By the way, don’t forget that producer Sakai and his special guests will be holding the 4th NicoNico Live Broadcast on December 4. Here’s the info again in case you need it:
NicoNico PSO2 4th Live Broadcast
Date: 4 December, 2012 (Tue)
20:50 PM (Stream Open) / 21:00 PM (Start) JPT
06:55 AM (Stream Open) / 07:00 AM (Start) EST
NicoNico PSO2 4th Live Broadcast Page
Will you be ready to take on everything that “Where Darkness Gathers” is going to offer?
Like this post? "Like" our Facebook page and follow me on Twitter to get free updates when new posts are available :)